Monday, June 26, 2006

yellow.. dirty felloww..

The Netherlands Vs Portugal game turned out quite the disgrace. It could not get any uglier. I was of course rooting for the Holland. My dad studied in Holland so I felt some sort of a connection=) Unfortunately, they lost. This game will be remembered for all the yellow and red cards. The referee gave out the cards like flies. The game got out of hand. There were total of 16 yellow cards and 4 red. Some might suggest that the fault lies with the refree but I think it is the both the referee and the players.

The best game of the tournament so far was the Argentina/Mexico game--not because of the high drama of going into extra time or anything of that sort, but because it was played in a beautiful way openly, with a controlled yet frenetic quality. Here, though, is the important thing: In this game, it felt like as if it did not matter what the score was, as long as the ball moved around beautifully. We might agree, for instance, that a sense of personal satisfaction at the most basic level appears to be a smooth goal. But sometimes the maneuvering tactics of the players with the balls is also an interesting point to watch.

Let me talk about something else other than the football.

I was very shocked to read the news about the missing girl, Pratistha Budhathoki. I do not know her personally but I had worked with her at the Expo at Hyatt in Kathmandu about 4 years ago. I was working as a marketing analyst in a company called ITNTI and she used to come to our office quite often. I still remember her face quite vividly and was really saddened by the news. I hope she is fine and I pray for her safe return.

This incident reminded me of the disappearance of Arvin last year. Last summer, around this time, Arvin Sharma from DC had been disappeared and his body was later found in the Potomoc River. I knew Arvin as well. He was my maiju’s sister’s son. The whole ordeal was really hard and now this. I cannot imagine what Pratistha’s family must be going through. This year has been really hard for the Nepalese student studying in the US. I just watched the news clip about Pratistha's disappearance from the internet. It is really sad.At this point, we all have to remain optimistic and pray that everything is fine with her.

A million raindrop voices suddenly cried out in terror and suddenly were silenced. Sun finally decided to show up after 3 days of pouring rain.

1 comment:

Dave said...

I think that FIFA has an agenda and I am not afraid to talk about it. I have said so often on my blog. PREMOS.
The link is highlightstoday.blogspot.com