Friday, February 05, 2010

Spirit of Marathon

" I am going to run a marathon," I said to myself after meeting Jason Sissel. But deep down I knew that 26.2 just seemed impossible.

Jason Sissel, whom I was introduced by a fellow colleague had worked at Morgan Stanley for 8 years and had lot of connection in the Chicago's Financial area where we had recently moved. I had gone to meet Jason with a hope of expanding my network, but I came back with a notion of running a marathon which sort of changed my life.

Jason had recently quit his job and had opened "Endure to Cure, " a pediatric cancer non-profit foundation with the goal of raising at least $3 million for the cause by doing endurance events around the world. He had done several marathons, ultraman and Ironman around the United States and also had a goal of climbing top summits in the 7 continents including Mt. Everest. When I shared my experience back home regarding our recent trip to Everest Base Camp, he seemed very intrigued. On the other side, I was more curious to know about his experiences with the Marathons and the Ironman.

Seeing my curiosity, he asked me if I had done any long distance running. I love swimming and had done indoor running but never had I ran more than 5 mile. In Boston, my husband and I, would always cheer the runners at Boston Marathon but never had I thought about doing a full marathon. " It is all about up here," Jason pointed his head." If you are prepared mentally, then you can do anything. You have done the base camp, Marathon should not be hard for you." " You should sign up, " he said before we finished our meeting.

That day, all I thought was about the Marathon. I went to the gym and ran 2 miles. I am going to do a marathon I said to my husband who simply smiled.

I started meeting Jason more frequently. The more I met him, the more encouragement he would give me on doing the marathon. He gave me a positive vibe which made me want to do the marathon even more... then again.. would I be able to ?? I would go to the website to register, but then would browse other stuff and would never finish the work. Then one day, I signed up for the marathon.Voila!

Since the deadline had already passed for the registration, the only way to get the spot was by running for a charity. Team World Vision, was a charity that helped kids in Africa, and I signed up with them.

The next few months was the training months. Winter hit Chicago and the city was covered with snow and wind. I was less motivated to run outside which was very important. I would run in the treadmill, but it was nothing like running outside.

Months past by and I was still running inside. I was afraid to run outside. It was cold and I would always make an excuses. Then one day I ran outside and could barely run a mile. It was so hard to run outside. The wind, the concrete road, the presuure on my feet. It looked difficult. I could barely run 1 mile and I had a plan of running 26.2. By this point, I had already told my family members about the plan on running and had started raising money... within first 10 days, I overreached my goal of $600, the minimum requirement for the charity.

Pressure mounted even more. Raising money meant commitment towards doing the marathon. I gradually started running outside and followed a training regime... and then I got hit by injuries. Apparetnly, I was not stretching enough, which caused the stiffness of muscle and as a result, weak knee cap.

I had trouble walking after I finished my first 10 mile outside. Climbing downstairs was too painful for me... this meant at least 2 weeks of rest and going to the Physical therapist. During this time, I focused on my strength trainning and doing lots of weights with a hope of strengtehing my knee caps and hips.

My body was slowly improving. At this point, I had changed my focus to running outside. I was mentally prepared to run outside every day and I followed. My husband would drop me off at the beginning in the Lake shore drive trail and I would run for two hours every night. Slowly I started developing a stamina. I also registered for Chicago Half Marathon and a 20 mile run.. which is one the BEST decisions.

My boss at work who had ran the marathon said, " If you finish the 20 mile, you can finish the marathon...". Well, I have to finish the 13 mile first... ". My half marathon was slowly approaching... However hard I tried to be disciplined, I found it hard... My knee cap was hurting.. then my back started hurting.... then my left knee, then my right... I would get home at one hour commute and then eat a snack and take a nap... and start to run from 7 in the evening till 9:00. Sometimes, I would just not get up from my nap.....:)

The day of the half marathon- Feelings ? = Scared as hell.

I seriously had something inside my stomach that made me feel like puking. I was nervous. What if, what if I don't maintain the 12 mile pace, would they kick me out from the race? What if I can't finish... I had all these questions in my mind. The race was going to start at 7:30 from Southside Chicago.. I had my alarm for 4:30, but somehow, the morning of the marathon I did not want to go. Alarm went off for the third time and I did not want to partake in the race. My husband had to literally drag me out of my bed. I had to remind myself that it would be ok, if i do not finish.. it would be fine.. no worries...

The Race Feeling= Anxious!

As we approached closer towards the South Side Chicago, we could see all the tables lined up at the side of the road with the Gaterode drinks, then there was mile marker and then.. the runners.. all pumped up. I got more scared. My husband dropped me off at the start line and went to park the car. I checked my gears and stretched and then voila, I was one of the runners... Gun Shot! and it began..

Turned on my music.. and there I was running... Mile 1 finished.. checked my watch... 12min per mile pace maintained.. " good one.." I told myself...

Soon it was 5 mile.. and there I see my husband.. how exciting.. I screamed at him, waved him and continued my pace... Mile 6... and 7..... I stopped for the gateorade and again continued the run.. it was feeling good... Mile 10.... at this point, I knew I could do it. I visioned crossing the finish line and continued with the run.. and there I was!!! The finish line... I received the medal..! Wow.. what a sweet victory. Aside from couple of blisters, I was feeling good!!! This gave me a bucket full of confidence!

The following weekend I had the 20 mile run with the Chicago Runners Association. The race was going to start at 6:30am. I had a 4 mile run in the middle of the week and was " sort of" ready for this run. 13 mile was the furthest I had run. If you were to follow a trainning regiment, you would have done, 15, 18 and then 20 mile. I was jumping straight from 13 mile to 20, so I had no idea of what to expect.

That morning- Wierd feeling .

I had my left leg covered with a bandage and I was not 100% comfortable with my running. I might have to take the strategy of Run/Walk, I thought. 6:30, the gun starts and then there I was running... The sun rise over Lake Michigan was so beautiful... It made the first half of the run so much... 13 mile this time was an easy run.. ... At this point, I remembered what Jason had told me about the run. He had said, once you finish 13 mile, it would be so easy the next time you do it. 14 felt fine..Gaterode and a trail mix.. I could keep on going... and then mile 17, I hit the wall.

Hit the Wall is the term the runners use when you have absolutely no energy left and you feel tired and feel like quiting! At mile 17, I could feel my blisters on both my foot. It felt like the blood circulation had suddently stopped and I could feel numbness. I wanted to stop but I did not want to.. Mile 17 1/2 then 18... 2 more to go I said... Gotta keep on running Deepti.. Keep on running.. Focus Focus.... Mile 19... ok.. ok.. 1 more mile to go and I am there...

Where is mile 19 1/2 now.. It felt the longest one ever.. why would's the 20 mile come? Where is it? Is it here yet?! 5 more blocks?! Oh my god.. really... ok.. C'mon.. keep on going .. keep on going... and.. all the cheers kept me going and thennnn.. the finish line.... Finally...

20 mile was brutal... I had not taken any energy bar/or gel shots.. bad idea... for the full marathon, I need to .. or I should say i have to take the energy bars!

20 mile is the furthest you run before the marathon. The last 3 weeks is known as Taper week where you actually let the body rest and run less than 20 miles. Since I had problem with my knee cap, I did not do much of a run that following week. The week after, I had no luck more than 5 miles.

The weather in Chicago had decided to get really cold all of a sudden and it was a flue season. The Thursday of the Marathon week, I had a tingly feeling in my head... For some reason I had a feeling of catching a flue... ekkkkkk.

All I did was eat and rest.. I ate ate.. It was time to load myself with Carbohydrate and protein... On Friday, I felt worst and I was beginning to feel anxious. " You are not running if you have a fever," Prasanna said. I wanted to run.. I had watched the movie, " Spirit of marathon," and had already visioned of crossing the finish line.. I wanted to do this, and yet, I was scared. I went to the expo and got my packets and energy gel and bars. Getting able to see Diane Kaster, the American bronze medaist was another plus point. I was pumped, I felt like my energy was slowly coming back.

Saturday -- All day rest.. and eat.. Protein, pasta, pizza, tandoori, nan and icecream. Evening- I started to lay all my clothes for the Race next morning. Prasanna made me a name card for my shirt. I was all set for the morning... I guess

Next morning, Alarm rings at 4:15... Time to get up. I get up.. Feel good.. Feel better than the last couple of days. Gradually progress towards the running mood.... It is the big day for me today... I have been trainning for this for past 7 months.. " Will I be able to finish?" I ask my husband..... " Yes, if you do it slowly.. do not over do and listen to your body.. " he says...

Please knee cap, be good today! Do not ruin this day.. Help me finish it.

1 pack of oatmeal and omlete and a tea and I am all set to go.

I go inside my bedroom and make a pray to lord Ram and my grandparents and my aunt, who will be watching me from heaven. Lord, give me strength for today, I prayed.

I left for downtown with anxiety. The train was filled with all the runners.. some eating bananas, some energy bars... I looked at them and thought "today I am going to be one of them..." Spectators on the other hand looked excited.. with the camera's around the neck and holding signs to cheer the runner..

Downtown was packed ... with the runners.. It was cold.. 0 degree celcius I think. I took a long breath... Am I prepared for this run ?

No comments: