Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Just when I thought the weather was finally going to be prefect, It Snowss!!!! Arghhhhhh

Weekend was absolutely gorgeous. It was in the 50s- or something with no wind. It smelled like spring. Really very rare at this time around. Early spring is so raw here. No flowers, or chirping of the birds or the bright happy flowers smiling at each other. Spring is my favorite season. At least better than the HOT and humid summer. Just knowing that in a few months everything will be shiny and new again, gives me a good reason to revive again.

So we had a snow yesterday. This one was probably the second big one for this year. It must have been around 5 inches I would say. However, the weather is sunny again. I have not dared to go out. Seeing people all buddle up does not really me that enthusiastic so my remedy was to stay home and try to make some “ Nimki.”


Let’s recollect back to the weekend shall we =). On Friday, we went to see the movie, “Memoirs of Geisha.” "Geisha" in fact derives from the Japanese word for art. A true Geisha is believed to have a power to steal an attention of a man with a single wink. This movie depicts an unparallel look at a strange, mysterious and exotic world, which has now almost vanished. In the 21st century, the word geisha is just a term and soon it will be gone and will be only seen in the Japanese history.

This movie successfully portrays how the district behind its facade of haunting beauty turns out to be a viciously competitive place where women strive desperately for men's favor,where personal trust is almost nonexistent, and where no woman can afford even to dream about love or happiness. This movie is also a dazzling portrait of a singular and most seductive woman, Sayuri who tells her story in a compelling first person voice. It is the true confession of one of Japan's most celebrated geisha.

“This is not a memoir of an Empress, or a princess but is a memoir of a Geisha.” This is how the movie ends, with this powerful statement and completely congeals us, the viewers.

The movie was beautiful.

The main character wrapped me up in her world with a beauty rarely seen elsewhere. She wove a mysterious tale, spun a web with her narrative, and fed me with heartstopping images and beauty I admired. Oodles of applause to Sayuri, for her bravery. Despite being the victim of a cruel and repressive system, she eventually managed to soar by becoming the “ desirable” geisha.

I had read the book long time back, freshmen year in college to be exact. It is indeed ironic how Arthur Golden, an American man who has written the book in the voice of a Japanese woman, illustrates the portrayal of a Japanese society, Japanese society in the 40’s before the Great Depression.

I really wanted to see this movie and finally got the chance. Thanks to my hubby. =) Japan looked so different then. The setting of this movie also reminded me that of "Oshin," the popular Japanese drama that was so famous back home when I was little.Little wooden house, clustered neighbourhood, tiny people is what I had in my mind whenever I thought about Japan.

My actual visit to Tokyo when I was 13 made me see the "New" Japan. My passion to learn about the Japanese culture forced me to learn their language and I still crave to understand their society, the society which is so vast yet so implicit. This movie surly helped me to get one step closer. "Last Samurai" is on my next list.

This was a good way to start our weekend =) I cannot complain.

No comments: