Friday, June 23, 2006

Sayonara Japan

As I Cradle a cup of coffee in my fist, with my poignant face, I sadly admit that Japan’s World cup adventure is finally over. They will not go home with just a point and will no doubt remember this Cup mostly for the disheartening loss to Australia in their opener. This will surly haunt them for next 4 years.

They actually had the lead in the first half but Brazil just came back so strong in the second half.What happened to Japan after the second half? Its offense has either been eaten by godzilla or was left in the locker room at halftime. The unfortunate side effect led for Brazil victory.Japan was beaten 4-1.

Brazil is a strong team. Fair enough. But with Australia it was no excuse...

I decided to watch the game with the fans at “Phoenix Landing:” When I entered the bar all I could see was the Brazilian fans holding their flag. I was hoping to see some Japanese fans, to my dismay, none were to be found. To make the situation even worse one Kenyan guy who was of course rooting for Brazil decided to mock at me.

“They are going to loose,” he proudly claimed.

This comment made me enter into a private contemplation, rather self-indulgent in the circumstances, of whether " Japan was really going to loose really badly."I tried my very best to ignore that guy, however, deep down inside I knew that it was the truth.

Just as I sat down in a chair, the door opened and my good friend Koi walked in with his Japanese uniform. Oh! How happy I was!

The game started. Everyone was rooting for Brazil. Even though we were just two of us, both Koi and I screamed for “ Nippon.”

We were clapping and chanting -“Nippon Gamnbaro!!”

I guess the team must have heard us, cause just before the half time Nakamura scored a goal. Couple of fans seeing us scream also decided to transform themselves into Japanese fans. Soon, half of the room was supporting for Japan. When they scored the goal at first hope, we had some hope, but after the half time which conveyed the incomprehensible optimism, we both came into the realization that Japan of course, was playing none other than Brazil, the number one team and there was no way they were going to win.

Even though, Japan lost, I felt good that I rooted till the very end. KUDOS to KAWAGUCHI, the goalie for doing a wonderful job! He made some magnificient saves.ARIGATOU!!

Ghana also celebrated their victory. Nice game I must say. I am sure Mr. Kofi Annan is very happy that Ghana made it to the round of 16.

I guess now that Japan team is out; I will be an avid fan of Argentina. I think it is about time that some other team wins the title other than Brazil.

I am glad it is the weekend. Prasanna has been working like anything for past two weeks. He really, I mean really really needs a break. He was saying something about making a delivery to his clients.In addition to getting tired, he really have not had chance to get a good night sleep. Honestly speaking, this week really has been very tough for him. Hopefully, he will be able to recover well this weekend.

What else… The raindrop, growing tired of life in a cloud, decided it best to end it all and plunge to the earth below this weekend. The weather forecast says 100% chance of Rain. Most likely, the rain will be hitting the ground with distinctive splashes. Of course, we will not let this rain ruin our weekend. We have an exciting line up on both the days.

I have started reviewing for my Economic classes. I was happy that I still remembered normative economics.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hope u have a great weekend.......love your blogs!!!!u write so simple but so enchantingly...