Monday, December 25, 2006

The land of rising sun

Procrastination indeed is an art… which can be interpreted in any ways you want to.
For me, last few days have been mixture of both procrastination and jet lag.
I got in Tokyo late Friday night. The journey was simply too long.

My trip to Seattle was fun…except the RAIN!! It rained all the time. The place reminded my so much of Liverpool…. Dark and gloomy and rainnnnn. My cousin had planned to take me hiking to Mt. Rainer; unfortunately the frozen rain did not permit us to do so. Despite the crazy schedules of my cousins who are both doctors, I did manage to get a quick overview of the downtown Seattle and was amazed by the number of Starbucks café the city had. Starbucks has really has diffused the city!!



After two days in Seattle, I was off to Japan. To recollect the journey, I watched two movies and read 1/3 of the book by Suketu Mehta. People who have read this book have told me that it really feels like being a part of the busy and crowded Bombay and really, how true was that. I have never been to Bombay but I really feel I have visited part of Jogeswari slums. It is very unique and interesting book indeed.

As I stepped out from Narita and climbed in the bus, I saw the lights of the busy streets of the Tokyo as I had seen a year…. or I should say years ago. A memory explosion, an instant bridge between the precise moment and this one. As I walked around the city, I step on little pockets of memory treasure… the treasures of my high school days burst open and waft open its scents.. Such an amazing power it has.

The next morning, I got woken up by my excited parents. My parents recently moved to a new apartment. The new apartment is in the 8th floor and you can actually enjoy the beautiful view of Fuji san…. Mt. Fuji from our living window. The view is simply breath taking. My brother has also bought a binocular to watch Fuji san every morning.

I am still jet lagged. I wake up early in the morning and then go back to sleep again later in the morning. Yesterday, I watched the movie called OMKARA. Interesting movie…. modification of Shakespeare’s Othello. This is probably the 4th movie that I have seen based on Othello. The first one I have watched was in 1998. I had to read the book during my summer break of junior high school. Then we watched the movie Othello with Kenneth Branagh and Lauren Fishburne in our English class. Then in my sophomore year of college I watched “O” with Omar Epps and now the Hindi version.

It is around 9 in the evening and slowly I am feeling drowsy and sleepy and it is time for me to stop. We are still waiting for the broadband connection. The dial up is too slow. This might be my last blog of 2006. :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Deepti,

Please write more about your Japan experiences.

Yuvraj said...

Hi...Deepti, This is Yuvraj, as Girish Thakkar, in MaxCT. Its great that people are reading about me and my family. But things are now changing and have changed a lot in Jogeshwari. But there is a lot which was censored in the book. Hopew you enjoy the rest of the book. I invite all the readers of MaxCT to my village and jogeshwari.

Yuvraj said...

Deepti can you get in touch with me. my email is yuvraj@hotmail.com