Friday, April 13, 2007

Hectic

I am writing after a week… No improvement whatsoever, it is simply getting worse.

Life wise, it is frustrating....from everywhere. Got back my Finance test. Not satisfied at all.. With all that studying, merely an improvement compare to the first one. Now, with only one remaining final, I really have no hope in that class.. I mean really.

Semester is almost over. 3 weeks to be exact before the finals. All the last minute cramming is currently taking place. 3 presentations lined up for next week. Information Management- we have chose the topic of Secondlife, then Marketing and Law presentation along with 25 paper pages.

Quickly encapsulating last weekend:

Went to Ishwar dai’s secret B’day Bash at Motu dai’s residence on Saturday. It was fun. Met everyone after a long time. Pras went to his Raag conference all day on Sunday and I was practically glued in front of my computer doing the Marketing project which is not even halfway done.

Now the exciting news:

Yesterday, I had the chance to hear Mr. Jack Welch’s speak at MIT. What an energetic person he is. For his age, he is simply Amazing person. “Energy” is one of the common traits I have noticed in all the leaders I have seen. I guess it is good to be an energetic person.

I liked Mr. Welch’s 20-70-10 % theory.

He said, to make a better organization, you have to Reward top 20%
Remove the bottom 10% and Improve the middle 70%.

He emphasized the point that business is like managing a “sports team.” The one with a best players win. You as a leader must know your team, care about them.

How do you Groom leaders?

Mr. Welsh answered with 3 points.

  1. Rigorous appraisal system
  2. Tons of Training
  3. Enforcing “education” from educated people

He also favored “Intrinsic” values as oppose to monetary values.

In sum, I was very happy to see the Retired CEO of GE. Truthfully speaking, it is people like this who change the world. During his tenure, GE market value grew from 13 million to $ 400 billion.

I had a long day today as well. Friday, and my class ended at 8:00. We had a networking event, which I decided not to go.

I have a scratch .. BAD scratch in my hand and the "Hepatitis" Immunization does not make it any better… It hurts really badly.

You know what? I’m happy tonight. Maybe not actively happy. maybe content

I can't say how much I’d like to close my eyes and float away right now. I’ve always had this dream of flying. Independently flying, not like in a plane or with wings. Feels like too much effort. Just floating, you know? All alone, unattached. Out of reach.

How wonderful would that be?

No comments: