Friday, March 24, 2006

MIT 50 K

“ Tere lie ham hain jiye, honton ko siye” - From Veer Zara

It was my first thought, this morning aside from the alarm clock, which is less a thought than a reaction, there was a song. It happens every now and then; I will wake up with a song resounding in my head that I have not heard in a while. But this was different cause; I had recently watched this movie. A powerful soothing song about love and destiny, the lust sin, and the mutual torture, which binds us together. It stuck with me this morning, forced by every step, measured by every breath, strikingly beautiful and foreboding.

This was the music that encapsulated my day… =)

What else…
The semi final round for the 50k was on Tuesday at the Stata Center, the most funkiest buildings at the MIT. The room was clustered with hundreds of eagerly waiting participants and somewhere in that crowd nervously stood our team, BOTICA.

There were 150 participants, and among that, 40 were going to be selected, so I guess the ratio was 1:5. To our dismay, our team was not selected. Jay, the chief developer of our team had really worked hard. In hindsight, we were probably a little optimistic with the revenue streams in our business plan. Nevertheless, everyone in the team still believes that the business and technology of our venture is viable. We'll see where this venture takes us.

This has definitely been a great experience for me. I got to meet or I should say, network with some wonderful people and one of our team members got the award for having been involved in the most number of projects.

The speaker for the event was a lady called Linda Rottenberg, a Harvard and a Yale graduate and who had successfully opened her own venture called “ Endeavor.” Such a strong lady who never capitulated despite the ghastly comments she got regarding her venture ideas. One thing that really struck me was when she said, “ Do not worry if people say your idea is CRAZY, you might need to only think back, if they do not say anything about your idea.” Fair enough!!

Her story about pursuing her dream was very encouraging. The most interesting one was where she practically went to wait infront of the men's bathroom to get hold of a person she wanted to meet. WOW!! I really admire her for taking her dream this far.

The event overall was very interesting. I found the atmosphere to be very casual and cordial.I am looking forward to going to the Final event. Two years back, Vinod Khosla, the venture capitalist at Silicon Valley's Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers was the guest speaker.

Aside from this let’s see what else is happening…

I got an A in my midterm paper for Accounting and yes I am thrilled. Accounting being one of my most disliked subjects, I was really ecstatic to get this grade. The weather is REALLY gloomy today. The forecast claims the temperature to be in upper 40s; however, it seems like in lower 30s. It is quite cold.

It is Friday night today. Yeahhh.

I just got back from the GYM. I was deprived of the energy today. I do not know why. I just could not RUN. I feel drained. Therefore, inorder to recuperate myself, I am sitting with a big cup of " BOOST." =)

Looking out of the window, the weather is making me go into a long blissful sleep.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Boost does seem to have given you that extra energy to write blogs with a sparkle.