Sunday, July 30, 2006

Weekend ramble

Weekend is almost over. The weekend was all about apt hunting. I buried myself practically all day yesterday sitting in front of the computer looking for an Apt. Nope….. no luck so far. Even though moving into a new apartment is always a fresh start, however, I have to admit that it is a hassle! I am exhausted. I cannot imagine what will happen in a month time. We will be (hopefully!!) moving into a new apartment. Packing/unpacking stuff and on top of that my college will be starting. What an adventure!

Weekend was good. My cousin was at our place for dinner. She is from Florida and currently a law student at Boston College. Her grand mum is my granddad’s older sister. The last time I had met here was in Mississippi and I was in 11th grade then… almost 7 years ago.

I also had a chance to watch the movie “Billy Elliot.” I had always wanted to watch this movie and somehow or other the timing had not been right. Finally, almost after 5 years, I got to watch it yesterday.

It is a story of BILLY, the skinny but scrappy 11-year-old son of a callus, sometimes anguished mineworker.Dad sends him off to boxing lessons every day after school, but the sport doesn't seem to be Billy's forte. He slowly starts to fall in love with BALLET! Beautifully observed and surprisingly free of mawkish sentiment, Billy Elliot is a heartwarming coming-of-age tale that speaks straight from the heart, juxtaposing Billy's battle of wills with his prejudiced father, with the community's struggles against the larger forces of the outside world. The setting of the movie is in England--A blue-collar English community, struggling under the conservative, anti-labor regime of Margaret Thatcher.

The movie is very cute. I thoroughly enjoyed it. If you like this one, you should definitely consider- Save the last dance, Center Stage and Step up- (yet to watch it!) For some reason, I have a passion for ballet and love watching it!

I have started reading “Intrepretor of Maladies”. I was estatic to find out that the setting of this book was also in Boston. I have halted “ the world is flat” for a while now. I know I need to finish it by tomorrow..but I still have like 800 pages left.

I was once asked- -

Do you blog with a purpose? I mean really…do you have a mission or are you just there to journal your daily life. I suspect that I, like many others, have no purpose behind my blog. I blog for me more than for others. This means the blog is a fairly eclectic mix of the banal and the more interesting ideas. :)
Enjoy!!

No comments: