Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Dr. Daniel Vasella

It is almost 12:00 at night. I am tired. Had a long day today. I left the house at 9:00 in the morning and got back at 10:45 at night. We had a evening class today. Everything has slowly started to pile up. We have our first presentation next week. It is on the Case of “Sealed Air Corporation.” Then over the weekend we have the 2 day simulation thing.....

Today was a busy day :) Eventhough I really did not have lot of time, I still managed to go to MIT:) In the afternoon, I went to the MIT Sloan’s DEAN’S INNOVATIVE LEADER SERVICE.I had been wanting to go to this lecture series for a long time and there was no way that I was going to miss it.


I had the GREAT opportunity to hear Dr. Daniel Vasella, Chairman and CEO running NOVARTIS, the world's seventh-largest pharmaceutical company. Financial Times selected Dr. Vasella as the most influential European businessman of the past quarter century.

His KEY accomplishments:

• Launched Gleevec, a breakthrough drug for leukemia, just 32 months after entering clinical testing


• Increased sales for 2001 by 14%, to $13 billion, and is on track to boost operating profits by 5%, to $4.2 billion

One thing that really got my attention was when he said, “We seek mployees who tolerate Failure as it is the daily bread than success.” Failure indeed is the key to sucess.

You really do not get to meet people like Daniel Vasella in your Day to Day life. I am glad I seized the day! Listening to such great leaders is what gives you hope and direction for your future endeavors.

No comments: