Thursday, November 02, 2006

exams

I inadvertently seemed to have been missing days.The last one I wrote was on Monday. Not bad really--- I have been quite busy (and no this certainly is not an excuse). Currently,I am taking a break. Break from studying I would like to add. I have a marketing midterm tomorrow. 12 chapters- each consisting 30 pages. I have read 9 chapters so far and I am very much overwhelmed. Slowly Exam’s have taken a ubiquitous form. Week after week I am thrown with exams. Next week, I have Accounting.

I have been studying all day---Technically, I was supposed to work for my professor today.
However, since my focal point for last couple of days have been this exam,I decided not to. I decide to give all my energy for the exam-- reading the longgg chapters of course! I have whole lot of pending work waiting for me. Next week is going to be fun.

Multiple choices. I hate multiple choices. The process of elimination always gives me this iffy feeling. As you might have guessed this, my marketing exam is solely going to be multiple choices along with 1 short answer.

While reading the chapters, I have come across the name Lafley quite a lot. Mr. A.J. Lafley is the CEO of Proctor and Gamble. It really feels good knowing that you have actually seen this person. Actually on my global marketing class last week, we made an emphasis on Porter’s theory. Today, while reading the chapters, I have come across Michael Porter's name several times. Knowing the fact that I have actually spoken with him makes me feel good . :)

This week on our Global marketing class, we had to do the analysis of Proctor and Gamble’s "SK II case." What is SKII ?

SKII is the leading prestige and high-end beauty brands by P & G. The case analysis was whether or not P & G should enter the Chinese and the UK market with this product.

SK II is an upscale product from Japan that is exclusively sold through selected Saks Fifth Avenue stores. The product is Fragrance free --- and it does not look anything like the upscale products, yet, one small bottle costs over $170.

The dilemma at the time of the case, 1997 was whether or not to enter the new market. The case was very interesting. The company did decide to take the risk and enter the Chinese market and they have successfully captured their targeted niche.

Doing business is all about taking a risk. Had P & G not captured the Chinese market, their competitors like L’Oreal, Chanel and Estee lauder’s would definitely have with their high end products. In the competitive world today, business is all about being an innovator and capturing the consumers mind. If you don’t do it, someone will. This is how the corporate business world works today! Seize the moment or else someone will------ now this makes me think back about the title for this blog. Carpe Diem-- SIEZE THE DAY!!!

The class was very interesting. This is one of my favorite classes. To tell you the truth, I really like case analysis. It is so much interesting then the professor’s lectures. Classes based on case analysis are more interactive and more energetic and that is what I like.

I am going to bit relieved after next week—after my Accounting midterm. My relief will be enormous. But may be not .....

To further my case ..... I still have 3 presentations to do before the end of the semester.

Weather is gloomy outside. The leaves have changed. It looks beautiful. I can sit and enjoy the view. Sadly, the situation does not permit me to. I better get back to my studying.

No comments: