Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Exam Anxiety

My operational Management Exam is tomorrow. I have been studying all day.. I am prepared.. I think….the worst is yet to come. On Thursday I have Finance.. the exam that I have been dreading for..... it has been my worst nightmare.

Nothing going on in my life except studying. The apartment looks messsy... practically books everywhere. I got an email from Don Cheadle, the actor from "Hotel Rwanda." I did not get his email per se, but I got an email with his signature. It was for the “Darfur Day." I still feel bad that I missed the demonstration. I was looking at the pictures and it looked nice. Lot of people with energy and determination to stop the Genocide in Sudan.

Something made me think about the American media…. news in particular. Living in this country makes you isolated from the rest of the world I think. Back home, we had BBC and even the Nepali news channels covers at least 20 min of the international news. Back in Japan, because I was in International school, I was constantly aware of the world news. However, suddenly, it was different when I came to the US. (Again, this is solely based on my personal experience and please feel free to disagree!)

Regarding the news of Darfur. It was the " Darfur day" on Sunday. People around the world demonstrated for PEACE in Darfur... they demonstrated for the Human Rights. Had I not been involved in Amnesty International two years ago I would not have realized about this worst atrocities. Similarly, my husband was telling me the same thing. Had it not been because of my involvement in Amnesty, he would not have known about Darfur.

I wonder why American media focuses so much on Iraq and South Korea when there are much greater epidemics happening in the world.

I have so much to write about...... I can go on and on...

All right, I better get back to my studying mode….

Let there be peace in Darfur!!

On the side note, the comment I received today on my blog was very nice. I was very happy Thank you!!

1 comment:

Distar said...

I agree with you the media here is pretty self focused. Especially local news. I sometimes laugh at what they consider news!

But I do think the NYT and Washington Post do a pretty good job of covering most of the world. Especially Darfur which has gotten so much attention. There are conflicts elsewhere that get no mention. I read the NYT/WP daily, check up on some alternative news sites, as well as the BBC site, and feel as informed as I can be :)

Good luck on your finals!